How Much Can a Pearl Necklace Cost?

How Much Can a Pearl Necklace Cost_1

Well, a necklace of real slightly round freshwater cultured pearls can cost only $15.00, but a necklace made of South Sea pearls with fantastic record dimensions that go from 16mm to 20mm can be sold at Sotheby’s for incredible $2,310,000.00. One can purchase a necklace made of perfect round lavender freshwater cultured pearls for $10,000.00 or more but at the same time, paying $100.00 for a necklace made of irregular, pitted, milky South Sea cultured pearls can be too much. So how can we know the real price of a pearl necklace?
Before purchasing pearls one should know the answer to this question, which is not hard to find.


South-sea pearl necklace


Experts say that “luster” is the most important characteristic to have in mind when purchasing pearls. We should purchase the pearl with the best luster instead of looking for perfect roundness because the higher the luster the better is the pearl.

Luster doesn’t only mean shiny. It means the glow that comes from light reflecting off of the several layers of nacre which is what forms the pearl.

A good quality pearl has radiant luster. It also means a pearl that will last longer because the thicker is the nacre of the pearl, the higher the luster and the longer is the duration of the pearl. A pearl that has thin nacre fades quickly and can get easily peeled or chipped.
So 70% of the valuation of a pearl go to luster. The other 30% are based on shape. Pearls can have several shapes. They can be rice-shaped or perfectly round. The last one is a very rare shape, so a perfectly round pearl costs a lot. Sometimes roundness is not very important as many freshwater pearls are not round but have incredible luster.


"top quality" fresh water natural color
“top quality” fresh water natural color

Another characteristic to have in mind is color. But its importance when evaluating a pearl is subjective as color is based on trend and taste. Besides it depends on the type of pearl.
In short, all these characteristics are important when examining a pearl. So after a little research, one can be aware of the real price of a pearl necklace.


Haven't done it yet?

Direct contact:

Choose your language

Free search